Monday, January 4, 2010

The Invitation

My ward’s Releif Society has invited its members to read the Book of Mormon in six months, and I am extending that invitation to you. Now, don’t worry, this isn’t one of the challenges where you have to read 10 pages per day. It goes by week and doesn’t fill me with stress to look at the assignments.

I love this promise from President Gordon B. Hinckley: “I hope that for you [studying the scriptures] will become something far more enjoyable than a duty; that, rather, it will become a love affair with the word of God. I promise you that as you read, your minds will be enlightened and your spirits will be lifted” (“The Light within You,” Ensign, May 1995, 99).

I certainly need an enlightened mind and a lifted spirit, so I am putting President Hinckley’s words to the test. I hope you will join me in this adventure to come to know the Savior better through the words of The Book of Mormon. Please let me know what the Spirit teaches you as you read, and please pass along this invitation to those around you. I know that the words we will study are true and will bring us the promises given by President Hinckley and will help us as we try to make our hard times become holy places.


January 3-Title Page, Introduction, Testimonies, 1 Nephi 1-11

January 10-1 Nephi 12-20

January 17-1 Nephi 21-2 Nephi 8

January 24-2 Nephi 9-25

January 31-2 Nephi 26 - Jacob 4

February 7- Jacob 5-Jacob 7, Enos, Jarom, Omni, Words of Mormon, Mosiah 1-3

February 14-Mosiah 4-16

February 21-Mosiah 17-29

February 28-Alma 1-10

March 7- Alma 11-19

March 14-Alma 20-31

March 21- Alma 32-42

Mar 28- Alma 43-52

Apr 4- Alma 53-63

April 11-Helaman 1-10

April 18-Helaman 11-3 Nephi 4

April 25- 3 Nephi 5-18

May 2- 3 Nephi 19-Mormon 3

May 9- Mormon 4-Ether 8

May 16- Ether 9-Moroni 10

4 comments:

Becky Andrews said...

I'm going to do it and gives me another reason to get my victor reader ready!

Kris said...

Becky, I love that hardly anyone knows what you mean by Bictor Reader, but I do! Glad you're joinging me.

Anonymous said...

Hey Kris! I am going to do it! Thanks for the encouragement.

Renel said...

Just completed the BofM on assignment from the bishop and ready to go for it again.
Will read with the goal to have my mind enlightened and my spirit lifted. Thanks go to you and to Pres. Hinckley for this goal.