Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Good Part

After teaching his sons of the great doctrine of agency, Lehi says, “I have chosen the good part” (2 Nephi 2:30). I love this statement. What a great example to his family and also to me. There is so much in this world that demands our attention, yet you and I are given the ability and responsibility to choose for ourselves. To what will we give our time and energies? Will it be “the good part”? Or, will we choose that which is evil and of no worth when we are enticed to do so?
Christ is” the good part”. His way, his gospel, his atonement is the part of this life which is truly good. All that is good around us comes from Him.
Additionally, after choosing, we then can act. Lehi teaches that there are “things to act, and things to be acted upon”(2 Nephi 2:14) As God’s children, you and I do not have to be acted upon, but we can and must do the acting. Our choices and actions must be deliberately focused on the “good part”. We do not have to be held back by our circumstances, disadvantages, disabilities, etc. We “are free to choose liberty and eternal life” (2 Nephi 2:27). What a wonderful gift!
Lehi’s statement, reminds me that each day, I should focus all my efforts on choosing “the good part” and then go forward and do it.

No comments: