Thursday, January 7, 2010

Introduction

The thing that most stands out to me in the introduction is that The Book of Mormon, “puts forth the doctrines of the gospel, outlines the plan of salvation, and tells men what they must do to gain peace in this life”. When I think of the book in this light, why wouldn’t I study from its pages and feast on its words? Why would I let insignificant yet pressing things take me away from spending times in its pages? Yet, I all too often fall into that trap.

However, I know that the truths expressed above from the Introduction are true. There have been so many times in my life when I’ve been discouraged or have just needed comfort and peace. In these times, I have often turned to the passage in 2 Nephi 4 to receive these blessings. As I have read Nephi expressing his sorrows and subsequent determination to trust Christ, it has given me reassurance and the comfort I have so desperately needed.

So many in the world seek this peace, and it is right here in the Book of Mormon, because it leads men to Jesus Christ and his doctrine and saving atonement.

2 comments:

Jessi said...

Thank you for the invitation to read the Book of Mormon in 6 months. I accept!!! Thank you also for sharing your insights. You apply gospel teachings in such practical ways. Your words help me to want to "do a little better."

Kris said...

Thanks Jessi.